YingHua Chinese School | YingHua International School | Announcement | Login

through Paypal

Total  visits

"YingHua in Beijing" Summer Program Announcement

68 Records (68 pages) [start] << 1 Back - 61 62 63 64 65 - Next 1 >> [end]

2010-06-17

by Liao,Bonnie on 2010-06-17

Dear Parents,

Five families came to the orientation last Sunday including Dr. Jason Patent, whose elder daughter will be part of the program. After a brief introduction, I mostly answered the parents' questions.

Here are some of them.

1) The room numbers and phone call instructions will be sent to you after everyone settling down, which will be June 29. During the first week, the parents may call the students daily if needed. During the second week, we ask that the parents only call 3-4 times if possible and 1-2 times during the third week.

We will send out daily announcements to keep you updated. As far as we know, this is a unique feature of YiB and parents really appreciated it.

It is more expensive for students to call you and it is usually a big hassle to get their calling cards refilled. It is better for you to set up a calling time so that you can call your child.

I would very much like to encourage parents to give your children this opportunity to develop their own space and independence. It is normal for children to have problems with roommates or other students. If your children knew you would NOT be available to tell them what to do, they would usually be more open to the coaching of the staff and to figure out a way to solve their problems on their own.

Cell phones are strongly discouraged as they could become emotional crutches for some students. It would be more helpful if you teach your children to trust the teachers with all their needs including telling the teachers about their homesickness during the first week (for some students, this may be necessary). So please do not tell your child, "If you miss me, call me. I'll always be ready to talk to you." (well-meaning but not helpful).

Students will have opportunity to send email home a couple times a week.

Student's safety and health will be our top priority. We will have rules for the students to follow. When we are on field trips, there will be usually 5-7 adults following the 26 students.

Students leaving from Newark, New Jersey, should arrive at the Continental check-in counter no later than 10 a.m. We will meet between 10:30 to 11:00 a.m. on June 28.

If your children need to be picked up at the Beijing airport, please indicate so in the supplementary registration.

Cell phone is not encouraged. It should remain to be in the student's room if available. If it is a kind that can play music, it will be treated as iPod and needed to be turned in.

No laptops, please.

The objective is to minimize ALL electronic gadgets that some students have grown to be attached to. It is a time for the students to be kids again learning to talk to each other and to learn new things from observing the environment.

Students may exchange money at the airport or participate in group exchanges, in which a teacher will make one trip to a nearby bank and bring back cash for participants.

Please bring 2 photos to Beijing and we will collect them together with the passports and other traveling documents. If your relatives want to keep the children's passports, they must provide a copy of the passports.

Student's medical insurance in the U.S. should cover the medical expenses in China. Ask your medical insurance issuer for details.

The students should not bring books in English.The spirit of this requirement is that students would spend most of their time learning Chinese and the culture or communicating with their friends.

The students can give their expense money to us to keep when they arrive on campus, then they can track the balance in the 'account'.

If you are dropping off your child at Yong An Hotel on Monday June 28, please arrive at the hotel after lunch time on June 28. You may contact Wang Laoshi at
81751775 (home) or 13611221288 (cell) .

So much for now.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Bonnie

[edit]

68 Records (68 pages) [start] << 1 Back - 61 62 63 64 65 - Next 1 >> [end]