YingHua Chinese School | YingHua International School | Announcement | Login

through Paypal

Total  visits

"YingHua in Beijing" Summer Program Announcement

29 Records (29 pages) [start] << 1 Back - 26 27 28 29 - Next 1 >> [end]

2012-06-25

by on 2012-06-25

Dear Parents,

We all have arrived at the Yong An Hotel tonight. The kids are getting along and we a wonderful welcoming banquet at a hotel restaurant.

Here is the contact number 65011188 and extension is

702 (Serena, Seeharah, Natalie, and Alice)
715 (Francesrnrn

DearrnParents,
rn
rnWe all have arrived at the Yong An Hotel tonight. The kids are getting along andrnhad a wonderful welcoming banquet at one of the Yong An hotel restaurant.
rn
rnHere is the contact number 86-10-65011188 and extensions are
rn
rn2702 (Serena, Seeharah, Natalie, and Alice)
rn2715 (Frances and Tatum)

rnrn

2712 (Julia,rnRebecca, Alexandra, Sarah)

rnrn

2703 (Karenrnand Evita)

rnrn

2710 (LeiJiaWen,rnEmily, Jamie, and Eileen)

rnrn

2711 (Ethan,rnKevin, Remy, Dennis)

rnrn

2716 (Leo,rnJustin, Pringgo, Narendra)

rnrn

2701 (WangrnLaoshi, Duan Laoshi, Zong Laoshi, Gao Laoshi)

rnrn

2617rn(Bonnie, Rachel)

rnrn

rnrn

You may callrnyour child at 6:30 a.m. (Beijing Time), but they’d need to get ready for thernbreakfast at 7 a.m. (we’ve changed the schedule a little bit so that we’ll bernable to start the morning session at 8 a.m. You may try to call your child atrn7:30 a.m. Please remember to keep your calls brief and assuring.

rnrn

rnrn

Here is arnwrite-up from our amazing counselor, Rache! Let me know should you have anyrnquestions.

rnrn

rnrn

Regards,
rnBonnie

rnrn

rnrn

Hi parents!

rnrn

My name is Rachel Kulikoff, and I’m the counselor for thernYingHua in Beijing Language and Leadership Summer Institute, YiB for short. Irnjust recently finished my first year at the University of Chicago, and I’mrnpainfully undecided on what I want to major in. I was a student at YiB way backrnin 2005, and as I told the students today, it literally changed my life. Afterrnthe summer program, I decided that I wanted to go to school in China for arnsemester (after visiting Limai School, now called New Talent Academy, I decidedrnon a year; then my father got a Fulbright to NanKai University in Tianjin, so Irnwas in school there for a second year).

rnrn

Through this journal, I hope to keep you updated on thernday-to-day life here, and our various activities and classes. In addition, Irnwill share both my own reflections and some of the reflections of our students.rnNearly every evening, we’ll gather on the seventh floor of Yong An Hotel tornwrite, reflect, and share these reflections. It is from notes taken then that Irnwill reproduce some of the thoughts of the students. But first, some of my ownrnreflections and impressions:

rnrn

In general, the Chinese level seems to be pretty high thisrnyear—I don’t have too much to compare it to, but most of the students seem tornbe able to understand and speak, though whether or not they like to is anotherrnquestion. I know that I’ll have to be careful not to conflate looking Chinesern(I’m the only one here who looks like a “waiguo ren,” with my Chinese motherrnand American father) and speaking Chinese with understanding the intricacies ofrnChinese culture. Even after spending two years here, I still find somernpractices baffling and some innocuous talk offensive—YiB is for more thanrnChinese language alone.

rnrn

Other impressions: I was particularly impressed with the notrnpicky eating of the roommates I shared a dinner table with (Natalie, Alice,rnSerena, and Seehanah). Nearly all the vegetables were eaten, and even thernchicken with little bones inside was tried. All of our students were veryrnmature about changing rooms, both in terms of changes we asked them to make andrnthose that they worked out. For example, I think that the boys’ rooms are morernor less separated into a “loud” one and a “quiet” one. Also, there is alreadyrncamaraderie starting between all of our students.

rnrn

Student Reflections:

rnrn

Pringgo, 13: He was surprised because he thought it wouldrntake a long time to get to know his roommates, but actually it didn’t.

rnrn

Justin, 14: was surprised because at the restaurant we wentrnto, the toilet paper was not in the stalls but instead next to the sink. Also,rnthe classrooms are in the hotel.

rnrn

Remy, 12: was surprised to be living in a hotel

rnrn

Kevin, 12: the first day was good, and he’s looking forwardrnto the next month

rnrn

Eileen, 12: She looked out the window with her roommates andrnsaw a cat on the roof, and they debated whether it was a dog or cat, beforerndeciding it was a robot cat. She feels shallow now because other people’srnreflections are deeper.

rnrn

Emily, 12: surprised and happy because she met a girl shernknew from a different camp in China.

rnrn

LeiJiaWen, 12: thought today was weird because of gigglingrngirls and awkward silences between roommates. Happy that the hotel has sittingrntoilets!

rnrn

Alex, 13: Liked meeting people and making friends. Alsornawkward silences.

rnrn

Rebecca, 13: she watched four movies on the airplane and 2rnTV shows, and it was surprisingly easy without her parents.

rnrn

Sarah, 14: She was hungry and nervous, but it wasn’t toornhard to fit in.

rnrn

Julia, 12: She was happy to see a friend from a camp yearsrnago.

rnrn

Karen, 14: She was shocked to see so many students who lookrnChinese/have Chinese backgrounds.

rnrn

Serena,8: Happy because she has good roommates and a prettyrnhotel.

rnrn

Natalie, 9: She was the first student here, and wasrnsurprised that he roommates were the second ones here. At first she was scaredrnand not used to it, but then became friends with roommates.

rnrn

Seehanah, 9: She was afraid that she would only have 2rnfriends, her sister and neighbor, but found others.

rnrn

Alice, 10: She’s happy that the camp is starting and thernfood was good.

rnrn

Leo, 13: Beijing is fun, he’s enjoying camp, and the hotelrnis nice.

rnrn

Tatum, 13: She’s related to two people at camp. She hasrnlearned Chinese for 8 years, but still think she sucks at it.

rnrn

Frances, 16: She pretty much ate all day, which was fun.

rnrn

Narendra, 13: He was shocked when the TV was taken. Hisrnroommates are loud, but the rooms are adequate and comfy.

rnrn

Bonnie: Really grateful to Lei who picked everyone up fromrnthe airport despite having a baby boy and home and not sleeping the nightrnbefore. All of our teachers are very accommodating, and helped moved arnclassroom.

rnrn

Thankful to Leo, Pringgo, and Narendra for helping movernfurniture around without injury.

rnrn

Impressed by the upbeat and positive reflections, and thatrnstudents appreciate what they have. Will talk in the future about putting arnpositive spin in negative emotions.

rnrn

rnrn

Until next time,

rnrn

Rachel

rnrn

rnrn
[edit]

29 Records (29 pages) [start] << 1 Back - 26 27 28 29 - Next 1 >> [end]